New to Gift Certificates? Read the first article in this series for an introduction to the Gift Certificates feature.
Which plans include this feature?
Legacy: Pro, Plus, Enterprise, Flex
New: Available with Growth (Subscription), Growth (Per Booking), and Managed plans only. Not available with Starter plans.
→ Learn more about our new plans or how to change your plan.
Where can I find this feature using the top menu?
Customers > Customer Booking Page or Booking Widget
What prerequisites are there?
- The Gift Certificates feature is activated within your account (Manage > Integrations).
- Gift Certificates sold or issued.
Which Checkfront version supports this feature - classic, new or both?
- This feature is available in both our classic version using items (Inventory > Items) and our newest version using products (Inventory > Products). → Learn more about products
Cancelling pre-booking holdsBack to top
A Pre-Booking is a booking started but not yet completed by a Customer.
If the Customer has entered a gift certificate number as partial payment for that Pre-Booking, the gift certificate, including any balance remaining on the gift certificate, is held until the booking is completed.
If the Customer backs out of the booking, this hold remains on the gift certificate for 30 minutes. The Customer cannot use the card again until that time is up.
However, a Staff member can pull up the gift certificate in the back end and manually remove the hold by following these steps...
- Select Gift Certificates from the Inventory menu.
- Find the gift certificate on hold in the Issued list.
- Click on the record to view the Edit Gift Certificate page.
- Find the Remove Manually button.
- Click to remove the hold! The hold is removed immediately.
The gift certificate on hold can also be accessed via the Account Activity log (Reports > Account Activity) by clicking on the associated Pre-Booking record and then the gift certificate number within the related Booking Invoice, as shown in the screenshot above.
Voiding gift certificate purchasesBack to top
If a booking with a gift certificate purchase is set to the Cancelled status or has been voided, then the purchased gift certificate is also voided.
If Staff or a Customer attempts to redeem a voided gift certificate, it shows VOID across the preview window, and they are prevented from doing so.