Learn how to set up Google Analytics 4 in Google Analytics, including creating data streams, adding Google tags to your website, and copying data stream Measurement IDs for use when setting up the integration in Checkfront.
New to Google Analytics 4? Read the first article in this series for an introduction to our Google Analytics 4 integration.
Which plans include this feature?
Where can I find this feature using the top menu?
Manage > Integrations > Conversion > Google Analytics
What more do I need to use this feature?
- A Google Analytics 4 account. If you are currently using Universal Analytics, you need to migrate your account to Google Analytics 4.
- Admin permissions to manage integrations.
- Access and the skill to add code to your website.
Which Checkfront version supports this feature - classic, new or both?
- This feature is available in both our classic version using items (Inventory > Items) and our newest version using products (Inventory > Products). → Learn more about products
Setting up Google Analytics 4
The experience of setting up Google Analytics 4 (GA4) varies slightly depending on whether you are setting up an account for the first time or configuring an existing account.
The instructions in this article are from the point of view of someone setting up an existing GA4 account, but all paths share these steps.
At a high level, you need to...
- Create a GA4 account.
- Create a property in GA4 for data collection (e.g., storing data from your website and Checkfront).
- Create a data stream in GA4 to collect information for your property (e.g., to collect data from your website and Checkfront).
- Add the Google tag (code) to your website code.
- Copy the Measurement ID for your data stream for use in Checkfront.
Do you already have a Google Analytics 4 account with a property? Next, you need to create a data stream. Detailed instructions are provided below.
Are you new to Google Analytics? Start by creating a new account. Google Analytics onboarding walks you through setting up your account, property, and data stream.
You can also learn more about setting up GA4 in Analytics Help:
Once you have created your account, you can continue with the instructions below on:
Creating data streams
1. From the Home Page, open the side menu and click the Admin icon.
2. Choose the Data Streams option under your Property listing, assuming you have already created an account and property.
3. Choose to set up a Web data collection.
4. Next, you need to set up your data stream. Start by providing your Website URL (e.g., www.theexperience.com) and give your Stream a name.
Enhanced measurement for events is enabled by default. This feature allows you to automatically measure interactions and content on your sites in addition to standard view measurement. The measured events are listed, e.g., page views, scrolls, outbound clicks, site search, video engagement, file downloads and form interactions. You can also modify events or create custom events.
Click Create Stream to save your settings.
Adding Google tags to your website
1. Once your data stream is created, click View tag instructions to open the installation instructions (if they don't open automatically).
2. Next, copy the Google tag for your account. Copy and paste it into the code of every website page immediately after the <head> element. Don't add more than one Google tag to each page.
Copying data stream Measurement IDs
Finally, you need to copy the Measurement ID for the data stream for use in Checkfront.
The following article in this series walks you through setting up GA4 in Checkfront, so hold onto that Measurement ID!