Paypal Payments Pro is a robust payment processing system capable of meeting most businesses processing needs. Unlike Paypal Express Checkout, you have full control over the checkout process, including a fully branded and integrated payment page through Checkfront. When completing transactions through PayPal Payments Pro, the customer does not leave the Checkfront interface and can process their payments seamlessly and professionally through your website.
Rebilling in PayPal Pro
Due to limitations with the PayPal Pro API, rebilling is not currently supported for PayPal Pro, despite availability through PayPal Express Checkout, which uses a separate API.
Paypal Payments Pro does allow you to process payments on behalf of your customers in the Checkfront admin area by using the Add Payment button when viewing an invoice. This is great for walk-ins and over-the-phone bookings. Paypal Payments Pro requires an additional monthly subscription fee which is billed by Paypal. You can apply for such an account through the PayPal interface. Paypal is available to merchants in many countries. You can check if your country and currency are supported here.
Note: PayPal Payments Pro is only available in the US, Canada, and the UK.
PayPal API SetupBack to top
To get started, you'll need a Paypal Business Account (free) or a Paypal Website Payments Pro Account. Once your Paypal account has been activated, you'll need to give Checkfront permission to add payments to your account at Checkfront. The following steps will show you how to do that:
1. Login to your Paypal Business account.
2. Hover your mouse over the Tools menu and then select All Tools from the drop-down menu.
3. From the Tools page, locate the API Credentials tile and click on the Open link.
4. From the API Credentials page, you'll be presented with two options. Select: Option 1 - Grant API Permission
5. From the next page, supply the Checkfront API Username and click the Lookup button. The username is acct_api1.checkfront.com and not your Checkfront username.
6. Next, you should set the permissions for Checkfront. For normal operation, we require the following permissions be checked:
• Process your customer's credit or debit card payments
• Use Express Checkout to process payments
• Authorize and capture your PayPal transactions
• Issue a refund for a specific transaction
• Charge an existing customer based on a prior transaction
Once you've checked the relevant permissions, click the Add button underneath. You'll now receive a confirmation message, stating that the third party application (Checkfront) has been successfully added.
Checkfront SetupBack to top
To enable Paypal in Checkfront, login to your Checkfront account and navigate to Manage > E-Commerce. Select Paypal Payments Pro, accessible by the payment methods available to your country link below. Remember, to use PayPal Payments Pro, you will need to sign up for an additional subscription through your PayPal account.
To activate either version, click on the setup button in the appropriate tile. This will open a pop-up window where all you need to do is enter your PayPal email address.
Sandbox ModeBack to top
Paypal sandbox mode allows you to test end-to-end transactions using the Paypal sandbox, without needing a live credit card to process. During setup, check the Enabled sandbox (test) mode box after supplying your PayPal email address. Remember to turn this off again, when you want to start processing live transactions!
Test Credit Card Numbers
For Paypal Payments Pro, you can use the following test credit card numbers during checkout:
Use an expiry date in the future and any three-digit number for the CVC.
Additional NotesBack to top
Paypal Payments Pro operates under different names internationally, sometimes referred to as Paypal Pro, or Paypal Pro Hosted Solution. These are 100% compatible with our Paypal Payments Integration. France: PayPal Intégral Evolution Spain: Pasarela Integral Japan: Website Payments Plus