New to the Product Builder? Read the first article in this series for an introduction to the Product feature.
Which plans include this feature?
Where can I find this feature using the top menu?
Inventory > Products > Products > Add Product/Add New Product/Edit Product > Advanced
What prerequisites are there?
- Admin permissions to manage inventory or restricted permissions to View products and assets and Manage products and assets.
Admin permissions to view and manage integrations if activating from the Product Builder (QuickBooks Online, Waivers, myallocator...).
Which Checkfront version supports this feature - classic, new or both?
- Your account must have access to products (Inventory > Products), a key feature of our new version of Checkfront. This feature is not available for use with items (Inventory > Items) in our classic version. → Learn more about products.
Discount and Voucher Codes
In addition to the following pricing structures, you can offer discounts to your Guests via discount and voucher codes. Learn more here:
Product advanced settings overviewBack to top
Within this step of the Product Builder, you can...
- Add optional or preselected product upsells to build packages and bundled offerings.
- Begin activation of QuickBooks Online.
- Begin activation of myallocator and sync your product to room types.
- Configure custom email notifications to be sent when your product is booked.
- Configure waivers and documents to associate with your product (with supported plans).
Configuring upsells for your productsBack to top
Upsells are other products that can be attached as optional or preselected add-ons to build packages and bundled offerings, such as optional meals or merchandise.
Before attempting to associate an upsell product with a parent product, you must first add that upsell product to your general inventory.
Only products that have been activated appear in the Upsell drop-down list (Product Builder > Advanced tab).
Note that we do not support nested upsells at this time. We support adding an upsell (B) to a product (A), but that upsell cannot have an upsell (C).
For example, we support a kayak rental (A) with an optional upsell of a picnic basket (B), but the picnic basket cannot have an upsell for beverages (C) as well.
Adding an upsell
To add an upsell to your primary product, follow these steps...
- Ensure you have added and activated an upsell product (as mentioned in the callout above).
- Click on the +Add Upsell button to open the Add Upsell modal.
- Select a product from the Upsell list of active upsell products.
- Determine whether the Price of the upsell is Full Price, Free or a Percentage % of the upsell product price.
- Decide if the upsell is preselected, optional or required via the Opt-in drop-down.
- Specify any Date Restrictions that may apply...
- By default, there are no restrictions. The upsell may be booked for any day for which it is available.
- Use parent dates (and times) if you want the upsell to have the same date and time restrictions as the parent. For example, with a product configured to be available from Monday 12 AM to Wednesday 12 PM, the upsell must be booked from Monday 12 AM to Wednesday 12 PM.
- Specify within parent dates if the upsell must use a date within the date span of the parent. For example, with a product configured to be available from Monday 12 AM to Wednesday 12 PM, the upsell could be booked for Tuesday only.
Specify custom booking dates relative to the parent product dates. For example, you may wish the upsell to be bookable three days before the parent product start date or two days after. Your options are:
- Start a number of days Before the Parent start date
- Start a number of days After the Parent start date
- End a number of days Before the Parent end date
- End a number of days After the Parent end date
Next, you must determine how the upsell is booked relative to the parent product's dates and times. Which control displays depends on your product availability settings.
- Enable the Allow time adjustment control if your upsell is configured with availability based on flextime increments and you need the upsell to be booked for the same time as the parent product.
- Enable Inherit Parent Guest Types if your upsell is configured with availability based on all day, nightly or timeslots.
- With this setting enabled, the amount of the upsell would be restricted to the same amount as the parent product. For example, the Guest can book one kayak rental with the option to add one picnic basket.
- If the setting is disabled, there are no restrictions on the quantity of this upsell that can be booked. For example, the Guest can book one kayak rental with the option to add one or more picnic baskets depending on the inventory numbers and availability.
- Finally, if both the parent and child products use guest types to determine who the product is available to, then you need to map the primary product (parent) guest types to the upsell (child) guest types. Mapping of guest types can vary, depending on how you have configured your products.
Learn more about mapping guest types in the following article.
Some additional information regarding products with required upsells...
Adding an Upsell to Multiple Products
You can add an upsell to more than one product! For example, if you add a picnic lunch as a product, you can add it as an upsell to your kayak rental, bike rental and walking tours. Inventory adjusts according to your settings.
Optional Upsells and myallocator
When an optional upsell is attached to a product, the upsell's availability overrides what is sent to myallocator. This prevents the product from being booked to its full availability through myallocator.
Until this issue is resolved, please create a separate, staff-only product without upsells to sync to myallocator. Follow these steps.
Learn more here:
Expert Tips from Checkfront Support:
"You can use optional or required upsells to collect gratuities (tips) from your Customers."
- Trina, Technical Support Specialist
Mapreselected upsell list
Added upsells, once created, are listed in table format with the following information displayed for each upsell record.
- The unique name for your upsell product.
- This communicates whether the upsell product is preselected (and required) or an optional add-on to the primary product.
- This communicates whether the upsell product is presented at Full Price, a Percentage % of the full price or for Free.
- To edit an upsell, click on the three dots at the end of the upsell row listed in the Upsells table. Then, select the option to Edit Upsell. This opens the Edit Upsell modal.
- To detach an upsell, click on the three dots at the end of the upsell row listed in the Upsells table. Then, select the option to Detach Upsell.
Move to Top
- To show an entry at the top of the upsell list, click on the three dots at the end of the upsell row listed in the Upsells table. Then, select the option to Move to Top.
- To move an entry one row higher on the upsell list, click on the three dots at the end of the upsell row listed in the Upsells table. Then, select the option to Move Up.
- To move an entry one row lower on the upsell list, click on the three dots at the end of the upsell row listed in the Upsells table. Then, select the option to Move Down.
Upsells can be made tax applicable via your Ecommerce settings. Learn more here:
Activating Quickbooks OnlineBack to top
Do you want to sync your booking and transaction details with Quickbooks Online?
- First, click on the QuickBooks Online tile under Additional Product Settings/Integrations.
- Next, click on the Activate Now button within the QuickBooks modal.
- From there, a new tab opens with the QuickBooks Add-on Setup modal in focus.
- Finally, click Connect to start the connection process.
You must have Admin permissions to view and manage the Quickbooks Online integration.
Learn more about the connection process and our QuickBooks Online integration here:
Activating myallocator from the product builderBack to top
To sync your products with myallocator from the product builder, check out the following help article:
You must have Admin permissions to view and manage the myallocator integration.
Customizing email notifications on your productBack to top
This additional product setting allows you to include additional information within existing, active email notifications when this product is booked.
|1. Toggle the Add additional details option to enable the message field.|
2. Enter a product-specific message to the message area provided.
Use our editor to format the description for display. Format the text using the options provided (format, bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, lists, link, line, align, size, text colour) or work with HTML code (<>).
Two elements must be in place for this to work...
Learn more about managing your notifications here...
Activating waivers and documents on your productBack to top
Activate Waivers and Documents to access digital documents that can be automatically added to bookings and signed by your Customers.
You must have Admin permissions to view and manage the Waivers integration.
This feature is available with supported plans. Learn more about Waivers & Documents here:
Follow these steps to set up a waiver or document...
1. Click Activate Now to be prompted to Activate the feature from the Add-on Setup modal for Waivers.
2. Once activated, you are taken to the Waivers & Documents page (Bookings > Waivers & Documents) to create your first template.
3. Once you have created your first template, you return to the Overview step of the Product Builder to + Add your waiver or document.
4. From the Attach Waiver/Document modal, you can Select your waiver/document to be associated with your product.
You can also set the Due Date, the number of days before the start of the booking that the waiver or document needs to be completed.
Optionally, Schedule a Reminder to be sent to Customers several days before the start of the booking.
5. View your associated waivers and documents, including Due Date and Reminder date settings.
You can edit (pencil icon) or remove (x) the waiver or document from here.
Navigating using the top menuBack to top
Once you Save the initial details (Name, SKU, and Category) of your product, you can navigate between the steps in the product builder via the links listed in the top navigation menu (Details, Inventory, Availablity, Pricing, Advanced) or in the footer of the page.
Accessing other actionsBack to top
The following options are available from the Actions menu at the top-right of the Product Builder.
Copying your product
Need to copy your product? Select this option from the Actions menu in the top-right corner of the Product Builder.
Click Copy to create a duplicate draft copy of the product in focus. Be sure to Save your copy via the navigation options in the footer of the Product Builder!
Once saved, the copy can be found within the Products list prefixed with Copy of in the product's name, for example, Copy of Kayak Rental. The copied product has a Draft status, so filter the Products list accordingly. A new SKU has been generated automatically, so you may need to update that value to match your identification system.
Deactivating your product
If your product is active, you are given the option to Deactivate the Product.
The Deactivate Product option removes the product from your booking page. No new bookings can be accepted, but any future bookings already made for this product remain intact unless manually cancelled or changed.
Archiving and unarchiving your product
Need to archive your product? Select this option from the Actions menu in the top-right corner of the Product Builder.
Archiving a product removes it from your booking page and prevents you from changing its configuration. No new bookings can be created, but existing bookings for the product remain intact unless manually cancelled or changed.
Once Archived, the product can be found within the Products List with a status of Archived.
You can unarchive the product by editing the product and selecting the option to Unarchive from the warning at the top of the page or the Actions menu.
When a product is unarchived, it is given the status of Draft. This allows you to update the product before setting it to Active.
Navigating using footer optionsBack to top
Navigating back a step
Use this navigation option to move back a step in the Product Builder.
Previewing your product
The Preview option lets you view the product from the Customer's perspective within the Customer-facing booking page once the product is Active.
Saving your work
Allows you to save the progress you have made so far when building a product or any edits to your product.
This option becomes available once the minimum required product information has been added.
Activating your product
Need to activate your product? Click the button the Activate Product button in the footer menu. Once your product is Active, it is displayed on the Customer Booking Page, and bookings can be booked according to how you have configured your product.
This button is not visible if your product is already active.
What is the minimum amount of information I need to activate my product?
This depends on your business needs, but the most basic product includes a product name, SKU, category with unlimited inventory, availability event, and a base rate.
The Activate Product button becomes enabled once you have saved your initial updates.
You can click the Activate Product button for additional guidance on what you need to configure before going live.
Look for the warning icon (!) beside the guidance button.
Once activated, the product is bookable based on your settings, including visibility - visible to everyone, staff only or as an upsell.
You can deactivate your product via the Actions menu.
Continue building your product
Navigate forward through the steps of the Product Builder. The Continue button becomes enabled once the minimum required product details have been provided.