Learn how to add upsells to your product from the Advanced tab of the Product Builder.
Learn more about the Advanced tab here: Step 5: Managing advanced settings on products.
New to the Product Builder? Read the first article in this series for an introduction to the Product feature.
Which plans include this feature?
Where can I find this feature using the top menu?
Inventory > Products > Products > Add Product/Add New Product/Edit Product > Advanced
What more do I need to use this feature?
Admin permissions to manage inventory or restricted permissions to View products and assets and Manage products and assets.
Which Checkfront version supports this feature - classic, new or both?
- Your account must have access to products (Inventory > Products), a key feature of our new version of Checkfront. This feature is not available for use with items (Inventory > Items) in our classic version. → Learn more about products.
To add an upsell to your product, follow these steps:
- Ensure you have added and activated an upsell product.
- Click on the +Add Upsell button to open the Add Upsell modal.
- Select a product from the Upsell list of active upsell products.
- Determine whether the Price of the upsell is Full Price, Free or a Percentage % of the upsell product price.
- Decide if the upsell is preselected, optional or required via the Opt-in drop-down.
- Specify any Date Restrictions that may apply...
- By default, there are no restrictions. The upsell may be booked for any day for which it is available.
- Use parent dates (and times) if you want the upsell to have the same date and time restrictions as the parent. For example, with a product configured to be available from Monday 12 AM to Wednesday 12 PM, the upsell must be booked from Monday 12 AM to Wednesday 12 PM.
- Specify within parent dates if the upsell must use a date within the date span of the parent. For example, with a product configured to be available from Monday 12 AM to Wednesday 12 PM, the upsell could be booked for Tuesday only.
Specify custom booking dates relative to the parent product dates. For example, you may wish the upsell to be bookable three days before the parent product start date or two days after. Your options are:
- Start a number of days Before the Parent start date
- Start a number of days After the Parent start date
- End a number of days Before the Parent end date
- End a number of days After the Parent end date
Next, you must determine how the upsell is booked relative to the parent product's dates and times. Which control displays depends on your product availability settings.
- Enable the Allow time adjustment control if your upsell is configured with availability based on flextime increments and you need the upsell to be booked for the same time as the parent product.
- Enable Inherit Parent Guest Types if your upsell is configured with availability based on all day, nightly or timeslots.
- With this setting enabled, the amount of the upsell would be restricted to the same amount as the parent product. For example, the Guest can book one kayak rental with the option to add one picnic basket.
- If the setting is disabled, there are no restrictions on the quantity of this upsell that can be booked. For example, the Guest can book one kayak rental with the option to add one or more picnic baskets depending on the inventory numbers and availability.
- Finally, if both the parent and child products use guest types to determine who the product is available to, then you need to map the primary product (parent) guest types to the upsell (child) guest types. Mapping of guest types can vary, depending on how you have configured your products.
Learn more about mapping guest types in the following article:
Some additional information regarding products with required upsells:
Adding an Upsell to Multiple Products
You can add an upsell to more than one product! For example, if you add a picnic lunch as a product, you can add it as an upsell to your kayak rental, bike rental and walking tours. Inventory adjusts according to your settings.
Optional Upsells and myallocator
When an optional upsell is attached to a product, the upsell's availability overrides what is sent to myallocator. This prevents the product from being booked to its full availability through myallocator.
Until this issue is resolved, please create a separate, staff-only product without upsells to sync to myallocator. Follow these steps:
Learn more here:
Upsells can be made tax-applicable via your Ecommerce settings. Learn more here:
Expert Tips from Checkfront Support:
"You can use optional or required upsells to collect gratuities (tips) from your Customers."
- Trina, Technical Support Specialist
With the next article in this series, we look at linking upsells to your product via the product builder.