Learn how to access and review external bookings for import, including viewing external booking details, initiating the import, completing the import once reviewed, unlocking new bookings, and updating external bookings.
New to the Booking Index? Be sure to read the first article in this series for an introduction to this feature!
Please read the entire series of articles, accessed at the side and bottom of this page, to learn more about the Booking Index.
Which plans include this feature?
Legacy: Soho, Pro, Plus, Enterprise, Flex
New: Starter*, Growth, Managed | Learn more about our new plans or how to change your plan.
*Report exports are not available with the Starter plan.
Where can I find this feature using the top menu?
Reports > Booking Index > External Bookings
What more do I need to use this feature?
- Admin permissions or restricted permissions to View all Reports or the Booking Index.
- Third-party channel integrations (e.g. myallocator) with external bookings.
Which Checkfront version supports this feature - classic, new or both?
- The Booking Index is available to both those using items (Inventory > Items), a key feature of our classic version of Checkfront, and those using products (Inventory > Products), a key feature of our newest version of Checkfront.
New to Checkfront - Products ✨
With our newest version of Checkfront, we have added products (Inventory > Products) as the successor to items (Inventory > Items).
Are you interested in migrating to our newest version? Please reach out to our Technical Support team for more information.
Accessing external bookingsBack to top
Once a booking has been made through one of your third-party channels (e.g. myallocator...), it is automatically synced to Checkfront as an external booking.
How it is handled next depends on whether your account has the auto-import feature enabled. The auto-import feature automatically imports your myallocator bookings into Checkfront, saving you the step of manually importing each booking via the External Bookings tool.
- Accounts using items only (classic version) do not have the auto-import feature enabled by default. This means the option to import bookings manually is visible within new external bookings. Please reach out to Customer Support to learn more and have the auto-import feature enabled within your account.
- Accounts with products enabled (newest version) utilize the auto-import feature. This means the option to import bookings manually is not visible within new external bookings. There is no need (or option) to manually import your external bookings, as your bookings are automatically imported and synched!
To review your external bookings, go to Booking Index (Reports > Booking Index) and click the External Bookings button, as shown above.
Reviewing external bookingsBack to top
The External Bookings page lists bookings that have come in through third-party integration.
Select information is displayed for each record, including...
- the source of the booking (e.g. myallocator).
- the channel the booking came through (e.g. booking.com).
- the Customer's name and email address.
- the amount and currency of the booking.
- the quantity (Qty) of the booking.
- the item/product booked (Description).
- the start date and end date of the booking.
- the date modified, where applicable.
- the status of the external booking (e.g. NEW vs imported).
Bookings that have been auto-imported by-pass the NEW status and go directly to imported (✓ XXXX-######).
Viewing external booking detailsBack to top
Click on the external booking status to view the information synched from myallocator, including Order ID number from the external system.
Click the View Booking button to open the related booking invoice in a new tab.
Initiating import bookingsBack to top
Don't have the auto-importer enabled within your account? Then, the option to manually import your booking is visible for each booking. As mentioned above, the auto-importer is a feature of our newest version but can be enabled on your classic account if you reach out to Customer Support.
To import a new booking, click the button under the Booking column. This opens a modal with the booking details displayed.
Verify that the booking details match the original channel booking processed and click Import Booking to proceed with the import.
Next, you can change the booking details before importing the booking.
Click Add to Booking when you are satisfied with your changes.
The Next button becomes active, and you can click on this to accept the booking.
Once the booking has been imported, the Booking button displays the booking code pre-fixed by a checkmark (✓ XXXX-######). You can click on the button to view the booking details.
Importing external bookings once reviewedBack to top
Click Import Bookings to start the import process for any New external bookings.
You are given the option to make changes to the booking before proceeding.
Unlocking new bookingsBack to top
When new myallocator bookings come through, and myallocator is set up to lock inventory automatically (see Setup in Checkfront), the Unlock option is present on New external bookings.
This feature only applies to accounts that do not have the auto-importer enabled on their account.
The items related to this booking are locked to prevent the items from being booked by someone else. Unlocking this booking runs the risk of creating an overbooking.
Staff should be provided with training or instructions on when or under what circumstances a new external booking should be unlocked.
Updating external bookingsBack to top
External Channel Booking Updates with myallocator
All booking edits are sent from myallocator to Checkfront; however, this only updates the 'external booking'.
If the booking has already been imported, any changes to the external booking are not reflected in the imported Checkfront booking.
The best solution is to disable booking edits in all enabled channels in myallocator, such as Booking.com. If you proceed with this solution, the Guests must contact you directly for any changes.
Another option is not to import external bookings (under Reports > Booking Index > External Bookings) until after your Guests arrive at the reception and check in. With this solution, the items are blocked in Checkfront, even if you don't import the external bookings. However, Checkfront notifications are not sent to Guests until the booking is imported...something to consider when deciding.
If you want to allow edits and need to import your external bookings, the third option would be to edit the Checkfront bookings when any changes are made manually. Providing you are notified (by either Booking.com or MyAllocator) that a change has been made to a booking.
After receiving such a notification, you must edit the check-in booking in Checkfront to match the changes.
< Accessing select invoices from the Booking Index | Bulk updating invoices from the Booking Index >